Rule 39.1 Neutral qualification
To be certified as a Rule 39.1 Neutral, an attorney must be admitted in the Western District of Washington and have an active Electronic Case Filing (CM/ECF) account. Attorneys must also meet the requirements set forth in Local Civil Rule 39.1 relating to bar membership, litigation focus of practice, and alternative dispute resolution training.
Neutrals must seek recertification and satisfy the ongoing training requirement every three years. You will be reminded when your application for recertification is due.
Applying for certification or recertification
All applications are submitted through CM/ECF:
- Sign in to CM/ECF;
- Click the Utilities tab on the CM/ECF blue bar menu;
- Choose Attorney ADR Application or Attorney ADR Recertification;
- Complete and submit the form.
Requests will be reviewed by the Federal Bar Association and the court. Profiles of approved neutrals are provided on the court's website.
Updating your ADR profile
Profile updates are handled in CM/ECF. To do so:
- Sign into CM/ECF;
- Choose Utilities on the blue menu bar;
- Choose Attorney Update ADR Profile;
- Update information in the appropriate fields of your profile and click Submit to save;
- Your online profile will be updated within 1 business day.
If you need help with the certification process, please contact:
Michele A. Gammer
Co-Chair, 39.1 Committee, Federal Bar Association
Court ADR Coordinator