Civil Case Opening
Attorney's Guide to Opening a
Civil Case (4.6 mb PDF)
The Attorney's Guide is also available as a PowerPoint (PPTX) tutorial:
Filer tasks (via CM/ECF):
- Enter Civil Cover Sheet information
- Add case participants from the Complaint or Notice of Removal
- Upload initial pleadings in PDF format.
- Pay the filing fee through Pay.gov, and
- Transmit the case information and documents to the court.
Court staff tasks:
- Issue summons, if any
- Assign the judge to the case
- Do a quality check of the new case after it is filed, and
- Notify filer of deficiencies or errors.
Civil case forms
- Civil Cover Sheet
- Application to Proceed In Forma Pauperis
- Report on Filing or Determination of an Action or Appeal Regarding a Copyright
- Report on Filing or Determination of an Action Regarding a Patent or Trademark