Judge Benjamin H. Settle was appointed to the United States District Court, Western District of Washington in Tacoma, by President George W. Bush on July 2, 2007, and began to serve on July 9, 2007.
- B.A. in 1969 from Claremont McKenna College
- J.D. in 1972 from Willamette University College of Law
- 1972: Associate with Don Miles, attorney at law in Olympia, WA. General private practice.
- 1973-1976: Captain in United States Army Judge Advocate General Corps, serving as prosecutor in Fort Bragg, NC, and defense counsel in Fort Lewis, WA.
- 1977-2007: Partner in Settle & Johnson PLLC. General practice with emphasis in civil litigation, business, municipal and real property law. Served as general counsel for Mason General Hospital, Mason County Public Utility Districts 1 and 3, Mason County Transit, Shelton School District, Taylor United, Inc., Hood Canal Communications, and Hiawatha, Inc. Acted in capacity of Mason County Superior Court Pro Tem and appointed arbitrator or mediator in numerous cases.
- Inns of Court, Hon. Robert J. Bryan Chapter XXV.
- Washington State Bar Association, admitted in 1972. Served on Judicial Recommendation Committee, Legislative Committee, and Special Investigative Counsel.
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington, admitted in 1972.
- United States Court of Military Appeals, admitted in 1973.
- Past member of Washington State Society of Hospital Attorneys and Washington Association of Public Utility Attorneys.
- Ninth Circuit Jury Instruction Committee, 2010 to present.