In this court the Miscellaneous mantle covers a large variety of cases. All supplemental proceedings in a federal post judgment action, such as a garnishment or debtor exam, become a miscellaneous case.
To determine if a case is a miscellaneous matter.
- It is an action which does not qualify as a civil case, OR
- It is an action which requires the decision of a U.S. district court judge, or magistrate judge, such as disbursement of a deceased seaman’s personal effects or perpetuation of testimony.
Miscellaneous cases cannot be opened on CM/ECF by the attorney or pro se party. They must either be delivered to the courthouse in person, via mail, or electronically through our e-mail box for new case filings (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com). Please be aware that some cases require certified copies for the court and may not be transmitted electronically. The filing fee for a miscellaneous action is $49.00.
The Clerk’s Office cannot tell you what documents you need to file for your case, but we will assist you in understanding the filing procedures. Some examples of miscellaneous actions are:
- Motion to Compel or Quash a Foreign Subpoena
- Applications for Writs of Garnishment
- Judgment Debtor Examinations
- Registrations of Foreign Judgments
- Notices of Receivership