Important: This information is intended to assist individuals wishing to file a civil action in the United States District Court, Western District of Washington without an attorney, which is called appearing “pro se”. It cannot be a substitute for legal advice from an attorney. You are strongly encouraged to seek legal counsel when filing or defending against a case in federal court.
The court expects you to review the following before filing with this court:
- Pro Se Guide to Filing Your Lawsuit in Federal Court (PDF)
- Pro Se Instruction Sheet in Civil Cases (PDF)
- Fees and Payment Information
Information on fees and how to pay them, including the court's fee schedule.
Filers are expected to be familiar with the following:
- Applicable Federal Rules
- Applicable Local Rules and
- Any information on your assigned judge’s web page
You are also expected to diligently pursue your case after you file it.
It is strongly encouraged that you review and use:
- Template forms for pro se filers
Registering for Electronic filing and Notice:
- Electronic Filing or Receive Notice Electronically:
Learn how to apply to electronically file or receive electronic notification in your case.
- Cancel Electronic Filing and/or Service:
Fill out and submit this form for each case you wish to cancel your request to e-file or to receive e-service.
Tools to File:
- How to E-File
Review filing procedures, step-by-step manuals, helpful filing tools, and filing FAQs.
- Order a transcript
Learn More About the Court System: