During Business Hours (8 am – 5 pm Pacific Time)
- File emergency pleadings (motions for TRO, vessel arrests, etc.) electronically, including the filing of a new case when necessary.
- After pleadings are electronically filed, the filer must call the Clerk’s Office to advise the court of the nature of the filing.
- 206-370-8400 for Seattle cases;
- 253-882-3800 for Tacoma cases.
Outside of Business Hours (5 pm – 8 am Pacific Time)
If the nature of the emergency requires immediate judicial action outside of normal business hours, call 206-370-8406 and leave a message which includes:
- The case number
- The nature of the emergency
- Document number
- Your contact information
This message box is monitored periodically 24 hours a day. You will be contacted once the emergency filing has been reviewed.
Emergency Filings by Pro Se Filers
Pro se filers registered to file electronically in an existing case should follow the instructions above.
Pro se filers not registered to file electronically in an existing case or wishing to initiate a new case that includes an emergency filing, should bring their emergency filings to the Seattle or Tacoma Clerk’s Office during regular business hours.
- Attorney's Guide to Filing a 2241 Habeas Case with an Emergency Motion for TRO (PDF; revised 7/2021)
- Checklist for Attorneys Filing a 2241 Habeas Case with an Emergency Motion for TRO (PDF; revised 2/2022)