Any attorney who is a member in good standing of the Washington State Bar is eligible for admission to practice in the Western District of Washington. Questions about this process, or any admissions related questions, should be directed to the attorney admission clerk, Dana Scarp, at WAWD_Admissions@wawd.uscourts.gov or (206) 370-8862.
Procedure for Admission
- Complete the Petition for Admission to Practice
- Register for a PACER-Case Search Only account at pacer.gov (if you do not already have an account)
- Request admission to the Western District of Washington via PACER
- If your Petition for Admission is complete and correct, you will receive an email requesting payment of admission fee ($238).
- Once payment is received, you will receive an email confirming your admission and a Certificate of Admission will be mailed to you.
For step-by-step instructions, review the Attorney Admissions Guide
Attorneys can order two types of certificates from this court:
- Duplicate Certificate of Admission
- Certificate of Good Standing
Certificates of Good Standing can be ordered from the Clerk's Office for $20.00/each.
Duplicate Certificates of Admission can be ordered directly from the Admissions Clerk at WAWD_admissions@wawd.uscourts.gov or 206-370-8862
Other Admission Types
- Pro Hac Vice Admissions
Obtain approval to appear in a specific case if you are not a member admitted to practice in this district. The filing fee is $238.00.
- Conditional Admissions
For Federal government attorneys who need to practice in this district.
- CJA E-filing Registrations
How to correctly register via PACER with a CJA appointment.
- Accepting CJA Appointments
Work with the Federal Public Defender's Office to provide representation to persons who cannot afford counsel in criminal matters.
- Apply for Leave to Appear as a Legal Intern (PDF)
Review the instructions and return the application to the attorney admission clerk, Dana Scarp, at WAWD_Admissions@wawd.uscourts.gov.
- Judiciary Staff Travel Regulations
For the benefit of traveling contract court interpreters and Criminal Justice Act (CJA) panel attorneys, investigators, and experts.
- This court's Pro Bono Plan.
- Pro Bono Panel
Make a contribution to the community by providing free legal assistance to parties who cannot afford counsel in civil matters