You are here

Surety Bond Procedures for Civil Cases

Bonds may be ordered to be posted in the form of a monetary deposit or secured bond through a surety, or a combination of these forms (see LCR 65.1). All bonds must be ordered by the court before being accepted by the Clerk's Office.


Surety Bonds

A corporation issuing federal surety bonds must be authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury of the United States to act as surety on official bonds under 31 U.S.C. §§ 9301-9306 and shall have on file or concurrently file with the Clerk one of the following:

  • Proof that the corporation is incorporated in the State of Washington;
  • A copy of the power of attorney appointing a resident agent for service of process in the Western District of Washington (if not already on file with the court, see the Power of Attorney page); or
  • Proof that the corporation has a resident agent who is an official of the State of Washington authorized or appointed under Washington law to receive service of process on the corporation.


How to E-File a Notice of Surety Bond:

Review the step-by-step guide: How to E-File a Surety Bond.