You are here

Central Violations Bureau (CVB) Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the Central Violations Bureau (CVB)?

    The Central Violations Bureau (CVB) is a national center responsible for processing violation notices (tickets) issued and payments received for petty offenses charged on a federal violation notice. This includes violations on tribal lands and on federal property such as federal buildings, national parks, military installations, post offices, Veteran Affairs medical centers, national wildlife refuges, and national forests. The Central Violations Bureau processes violation notices for violations of federal law that occur outside federal property as well, such as, for example, migratory bird offenses that occur on private property.

  • How do I know if I received a federal ticket?

    This site is designed to allow on-line payments of federal tickets only. Click here to see an image of a federal ticket. If the ticket you received does not say "U.S. District Court Violation Notice" across the top, then you did not receive a federal ticket. Federal tickets are issued by law enforcement personnel from agencies such as the U.S. Park Police, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, Department of Defense Police, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Provost Marshal, Airforce, Marines & Navy Security Forces, U.S. Postal Police, U.S. Customs, U.S. Border Police, V.A. Police, and tribal police.

  • How do I pay my ticket?

    You can pay on-line by clicking here. You may also make a payment by calling the Central Violations Bureau during normal business hours at (800) 827-2982 or mail a check or money order to:

    Central Violations Bureau
    P.O. Box 780549
    San Antonio, TX 78278-0549   

    Make sure to include the location code and violation number on your payment.

  • How can I check the status of a ticket?

    Contact the Central Violations Bureau by calling 800-827-2982. Use option 4 to hear an automated recording with the status of your ticket. Please note that violations are generally processed within 4-6 weeks of the date that they were issued. There will only be a status for your violation if it has been received and processed by CVB. If your violation has not been processed, no status will be available.

  • I want to contest my ticket in court, but I don’t have a court date written on my ticket.

    You will be notified by the Central Violations Bureau of your court date by mail. You will receive a Notice to Appear usually within 4 to 8 weeks from issuance of the ticket.

  • I received a violation notice that is marked mandatory. Do I have to appear in court?

    If your ticket is marked Mandatory Appearance – or if there is no amount due shown on your ticket or Notice to Appear – you must appear at the date, time, and court location indicated on your ticket.

  • When is my payment due?

    To avoid having to appear in court, all payments must be received on or before the scheduled court date.

  • What if I pay my ticket online on my scheduled court date?

    The court will be notified of your payment. You will not have to appear in court.

  • What happens if I don’t pay my ticket or appear in court?

    If you fail to pay your fine or appear in court at the date and time scheduled on the ticket or Notice to Appear, the court may issue a summons ordering your appearance or issue a warrant for your arrest. If you are charged with a motor vehicle violation, the court may also report your failure to pay or appear to the DMV of your state, which may affect your driving and/or registration privileges.

  • I received a notice to appear, but I mailed my payment three weeks ago. Did you receive my payment?

    Contact the Central Violations Bureau by calling 800-827-2982. Use option 4 to hear an automated recording with the status of your ticket.

  • I received a ticket, but I have moved. How can I change my address?

    Address change requests must be submitted in writing to the Central Violations Bureau. Click here to contact CVB.

  • Can I take a driver’s course/defensive driving class?

    Please appear on your scheduled court date for any special requests.

  • Can I request community service, probation, or deferred prosecution?

    Please appear on your scheduled court date for any special requests.

  • If I submit correspondence regarding my violation, do I still have to appear in court?

    Yes, unless you receive guidance from the court instructing you otherwise.

  • I received a moving violation (for example, a speeding ticket). How many points will be assessed against my driver’s license?

    You will have to contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles or Licensing to determine the point value of the offense. The Central Violations Bureau does not maintain this information.

  • How do I obtain a release for my driver’s license or vehicle registration?

    All releases are processed automatically once a fine is paid in full or the case is dismissed. They are processed in accordance with the policies of the Department of Motor Vehicles of your state and may require several weeks to become effective . There is no additional fee assessed by the Central Violations Bureau to issue a release.

  • How may I obtain a copy of the complete statement of charges against me?

    You may obtain a copy of the statement against you by calling 800-827-2982 or submitting a written request to the Central Violations Bureau through email, fax or mail. The request must contain the CVB Location Code, Violation Number, defendant name and contact phone number. Any information missing will delay the request. Please allow 30 days from the date of issuance for the CVB to receive a copy of the ticket from the law enforcement agency.

  • Can I continue or reschedule my hearing?

    Yes. Click here to contact CVB.

    If you have already received a Notice to Appear please click here to contact the court.

  • When are hearings held?

    Tacoma: Arraignments occur every Wednesday and most trial settings are on Mondays. Seattle: Hearings are held the third Thursday of each calendar month. Mount Vernon: Hearings are held the first Tuesday of each calendar month.

  • Can I have a hearing date that is sooner?

    Generally, the answer is no, you must appear on the date that has been provided.